Its Ab’vember and this article from our nutritional Guru Karen Smed is all about how to keep that surfboard stomach through the silly season.
We have all had those embarrassing moments. We eat certain foods and a little while later our body feels like an awkward moment waiting to happen as well as feeling bloated and rather uncomfortable.
Here are a few tips to help with bloating:
- Drink lemon water first thing in the morning as this will kick start your metabolism
- Drink lemon water during throughout day – this will aid in reducing bloating. If I feel bloated or uncomfortable I take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 80ml of water, definitely
- Avoid all soft drinks
- Avoid fizzy alcoholic drinks like beer and champagne – beer also contributes to belly fat
- Reduce your intake of gluten – this can be difficult to digest
- Reduce your intake of refined sugar – this can be difficult to digest and not to mention weight gain and blood sugar problems
- Avoid processed foods
- Eating fruit after a meal can cause gas, try eating fruit mid-mornings on an empty stomach and avoid during afternoons where the sugars in fruit can cause your sugar levels to spike and you want to avoid that so late in the day
- Be careful with cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower as these can be poorly absorbed by some people. Cook them a little longer to aid in easier digestion.
- Add ginger. Ginger relieves gas, aids in digestion and helps with nausea
- Eat Greek yogurt for breakfast, which is full of probiotics that can help.
- Eat slowly – chew, chew and chew again, don’t inhale your food. Gulping down your food will cause gas, slow down and enjoy.
- Last but not least – get moving. Exercise is so important in the digestive process.
Now the silly season is upon us which is filled with delicious food. Just remember to choose the healthier version of what is offered and eat mindfully. If you do overindulge, don’t fret, here are a few tips to beat the bloating:
- Drink lemon water with freshly grated ginger first thing in the morning as this will help detox your system
- Drink plenty of water
- Enjoy a few herbal teas such as chamomile and peppermint tea is great
- Don’t skip on exercise the following day – get that body into the gym and workout.