In the last article we discussed the benefits of beetroot and cayenne pepper. Let us now take a look at Chia seeds, my absolute best and cinnamon which I LOVE.
I will also post a recipe once again inspired from a fellow health and smoothie enthusiast, Ryan.
Chia Seeds are nutritional powerhouse that are very worthy of a place in your daily diet. You can add them to anything but I especially love them in a smoothie or sprinkled on top of yoghurt:
- Full of healthful omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids
- High levels of protein and fibre
- No cholesterol
- Minerals in significant amount such as:
- Beneficial in weight loss because of their ability to keep you feeling full
- Aid in keeping your blood sugar from spiking and dropping due their high content in fibre
- Provide you with energy
- Are known to relive joint pain and irritated skin
- Positive effects on your blood sugar levels
- Aid in digestion as they are so high in fibre, soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Aid in lowering cholesterol levels and raising the amount of good cholesterol in your blood.
Strawberry Chia Seed Smoothie Recipe
1 cup raw milk or nut milk of choice
1/3 avocado or frozen banana
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
A dash of sea salt
A little honey, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
Who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon? This is such a delicious spice and has many medicinal properties that have been used for thousands of years. Cinnamon used to be rare and valuable and was regarded as a gift for kings.
- Loaded with antioxidants which protect our bodies from oxidative damage caused by free radicals
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties which aids our bodies fight infections and repair tissue damage
- Improves sensitivity to the hormone insulin which is the key hormone regulating metabolism and energy use
- Essential for transporting blood sugar from your bloodstream to your cells
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Helps fight bacterial and fungal infections
Cinnamon is one of the most delicious and healthiest spices!
Whey Protein Smoothie Recipe
1 cup milk of your choice (I use unsweetened almond milk)
1 serving of your preferred whey protein powder (I use NPL Platinum Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream – divine!)
½ tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of salt
To sweeten a squirt of raw honey – this is optional, you really don’t need this
I always add more cinnamon as I LOVE cinnamon.